In a throwaway world, when we see styles comes back in, it’s a beautiful thing... Why? Because it encourages recycling. You can’t beat the real deal, and restoring a pre-loved piece is part of the fun.
When it comes to sourcing your special piece, you needn’t look further than Gumtree to find something to suit your space. We are loving one-off statement pieces in an otherwise, contemporary home – such as a chair or day bed!
Once you’ve got the piece, it’s time to breathe some new life into it…
RESTORING CANE FURNITURE
Begin by cleaning it thoroughly:
• Grab a toothbrush and scrub in the crevices, then vacuum with the brush attachment
• Make up a solution of dish liquid and lukewarm water
• Gently wipe the furniture without getting it too wet (if it takes too long to dry, it can start to form mould)
• Dry off with a soft cloth
• Allow the furniture to dry thoroughly before doing anything else.
If there are any loose strands of rattan or cane just glue them back into place with superglue. If you need to replace a piece, you can typically find some new material in good craft stores.
To finish, varnish the piece to restore its natural look. If you want to be daring, you paint it! We love cane pieces in white, but an bold colour will work!
Now, all you need is some scatter cushions and a throw… and enjoy!